Monday, March 1, 2010

HEAVENLY CAKE BAKERS~FREE CHOICE~ROSE RED VELVET CAKE


When I saw this cake, I thought it would be perfect for our CANADA/US Gold medal Olympic game potluck! Fourteen of us got together at a friends house~we watched 68 minutes of Hockey awesomeness projected to 8x12' on the wall! We took our much-in-demand-and-always-gone-in-about-10-minutes Artichoke Dip, Blood Orange Martinis and cupcakes. And a cowbell! It was total fun and we were wild when Sid-the-Kid scored in overtime!!


But I digress...on to the cupcakes...


I doubled the recipe, and couldn't bring myself to use all that red dye, so opted to use beet juice instead. But I was worried about the taste, with the small amount of cocoa in the recipe, so decided to increase it and decrease the flour. They turned out kind of reddish brown. The Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting was quite runny. I added some icing sugar to it in an attempt to thicken it up~didn't help much and I ended up putting it in the fridge for a couple of hours. At one point I remember thinking 'I used all that white chocolate for this?' Apparently I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese frostings....


In the end, although they were good, I probably wouldn't make them again. My never fail wacky cake recipe made into cupcakes is still my fave!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite frosting to pair with Red Velvet is Vanilla Buttercream. Call me a rebel.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete